Friday, September 10, 2010

The 30 Second Choice


Ms. Procrastinate here...

The last three weeks i've been giving this a lot of thought... choice. We make choices everyday. Good, bad, to finish what's on our plate, or to put the leftovers in the fridge for later. When you're in the grocery store we make a choice to buy healthy items or even not so healthy items. In the morning we have the choice to listen to our alarm when it goes off and get out of bed... or we hit the snooze button and think, "5 more minutes and i'll get up." I don't know about you but when I make that choice to hit the snooze button I know i'm not getting up for at least another 30 min. And every 5 minutes i'll hit the button and think, "just 5 more minutes" knowing that i'm lying to myself. *slaps hand to forehead*

I was once told that every time you say you're GOING to do something and DON'T do it, your self confidence takes a hit. Sooooooo true! And yet, here I am saying that i'm going to find someone to loan me their P90X or Insanity workout DVD's and i've only asked one person and never followed through. I said I was going to eat like a damn rabbit for 90 days and drink lots of water, but what's true is that right now i'm on my 2nd cup of coffee. Bad choices!

Also what I do reflects and shows up on others around me. Example: When
I stop blogging... iheartbread and Muffin Top stop too. Coincidence? Nope! When I care to blog they care to blog and vice versa.

So on to my thoughts about the 30 Seconds Choice... Granted a lot of people make great choices in those 30 seconds. For those of us with diet and weight loss issues, great choices maybe come once in a while. Let's face the facts here... if we made the right choices we wouldn't be in this position in the first place. I know 30 seconds doesn't seem like a long time but i'm not talking about the whole decision making process here.

I'm talking about the amount of time it takes for you to start talking yourself into the wrong choice. It only takes one thought to start you going down the shady path in your mind type of thing. Get it?! Example: I have 2 choices for lunch...Taco Bell or a homemade sandwich with grapes. The first thought the steers me towards the bad choice is "it'll be easier to drive a block and get lunch than take 15 minutes to hunt down everything I need to make the sandwich." Once THAT thought comes up i'll start to justify it! "And taco bell is so cheap anyways I might as well." It's so stupid!!! THEEEEEN I'll make my self feel better about making that choice. "So because i'm eating at Taco Bell i'll get a Diet Pepsi and do 30 minutes on the Wii fit." Ya... like that'll ever happen. I'll make up some other excuse later about how I don't have enough time to workout. Can anyone relate!?!?!

So my challenge to you readers (all 15 of you, lol) is to catch that ONE thought in that 30 seconds that gets you speeding towards the choice that isn't best for you. Write down what it is and put it up somewhere that you'll see it all the time, and ask yourself, "How often does this one thought come up?" You'd be surprised! And i'll do the same of course and let you know what it is.

Happy dieting everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Funny thing! Right after I posted this my friend calls me from a McDonald's Drive-thru! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome Christina, you made me laugh out loud or should I be lazy and say lol. I can totally relate to everything you are talking about. I will waste more time thinking about what to eat and what not to eat that by the time I know it, I could have made myself a god damn holy healthy meal. The world we live in makes it hard for lazy people to get out alive. As for me, I always take the easy road, such as Taco bell verses making myself a salad. It's just easier, and with my life, easier is just the easiest. There are so many nights I go to bed and set my alarm for 7 am so I can make it to yoga, but do I ever get out of bed and actually do it... not a chance. I would rather sleep an extra 15 minutes lol.
    My challenge is to actaully get up when I make a plan of it. It's funny because I never break plans with friends or dates I have scheduled, but when it comes to things I need to do for myself, I chose the easy road... Time for some changes, time for different choices..
    Thanks for the inspiration! Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did this this morning... woke up to some texts at 9:45, figured i could wake up and have some coffee and a shake and go to the gym, but what did i do? "oh, five more minutes..." which turned into "four more hours...."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been storing some size 6 clothing that I used to fit in when I was 37, before my fourth child was born. I am thinking I could do this. What is it going to take to accomplish? Stop drinking the 'one beer a day,' stop eating third helping's, stop not exercising enough. Walking doesn't seem to be enough at 40. It's only one beer. That homemade lasagna sure is delish. That chai tea latte has GREEN TEA in it. Those size 6 chino's are so cute! Look at them! In that storage bag! Victoria DLT-W.

    ReplyDelete