Tuesday, May 31, 2011

70's Roller Disco Workout

Shereen and I... See the skates?!
    The title above is no joke!  Well... it kind of is.  That's not what's advertised when you go to World Of Wheels (WOW) in LA for Roller Disco Night, but it's how I felt the next day that made me come to this conclusion...

   Last Saturday my friend Joey and I headed out Los Angeles for my friend Shereen's birthday party.  That clever girl decided to have it at this awesome AMF roller rink/bar/bowling alley.  I of course Googled it to see what I was in for, and it didn't disappoint.  There was carpeted walls in the usual 70's colors, cheesy slogan posters, and the usual brown and orange old-as-dirt rental roller skates.  I, thankfully, had asked my friend Darla the day before if she had a pair I could borrow,  and she produced this rad pair of $200 roller derby skates.  (I'm not a germaphobe, but i'm not unaware of what could be lurking in the rentals)

Joey's got the Saturday Night Fever!
Joey, even though he wore roller blades, did not disappoint and wore an outfit that represented Saturday Night Fever.  I shopped for 2 days to find my perfect outfit and I was actually happy that everything I tried on fit!  So with my hair done a la Farrah Fawcett, blue eye shadow, overpriced striped tube socks, and short shorts, we headed to the rink to get our skate and drink on...

  Now i'd like to remind you that I haven't been on a pair of skates in over 15 years.  So once there and strapped in it was slow going and totally awkward!  I may have 'windmilled' it a couple of times, ( You know where your arms flail around in circles while you try to regain your balance?  Ya that...)  I may have made the 'Oh-Shit-I'm-Going-Fall' face.  I may have even latched onto Joey's arm with the thought of 'If i'm going down, so are you, and we can both be embarrassed.'  However, after about an hour this girl got her Roller Boogie on and wasn't so Dazed and Confused anymore.

  Now in all fairness to the people floundering around out there in the rink, I had had roller skating lessons when I was a kid taught by some old lady with a tutu and a bouffant hair-do.  We learned the essentials like Shoot The Duck,  how to limbo on skates, the Cross Over, the T-Stop, and how to skate backwards.  I'm sure Darla agrees with me (she was there too) that lessons at Skate Land were much more fun than the piano lessons we were also put into.   And I would also like to take this time to thank my mother for dolling out the cash, because without those lessons, by tailbone would be oh so bruised right now.

  But enough about that... the reason i'm writing about this is because of the way I felt the next day.  I swear that if my thighs could talk (you're welcome for that visual by the way) they would be screaming at me!  Who knew that 50 turns around that rink could work out every part of my body including my mid section!  Everything hurts!  My legs mostly, but my arms, butt, abs, and even back are all sore.  I really think i'm on to something here... who knew that while having fun, I could get in a work out?!  Granted the two Captain and Cokes I had may have negated about 80% of it, but still!  I'm almost tempted to sign up for lessons again and see what comes of it.  I would so much rather skate my butt higher, and my thighs thinner, than run or do workout videos at home!  

  The lesson learned here:  There are lots of ways to get in a workout that can be fun yet unconventional!


  What are some ways that you got in an unexpected work out?  Comment below or our Facebook page and let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment